Many parents know not to feed honey to an infant or baby under the age of one year old. But many new parents are not aware of this danger.

Honey contains a form of botulism and children under the age of one year are unable to fight off the botulism bacteria which can cause serious illness and lead to paralysis.

Botulism is caused by bacteria that normally resides in a dormant form in soil and occasionally gets into honey. It can grow in a baby's undeveloped intestine and produce a toxin, causing infant botulism. Infant botulism is incredibly rare, but it is a serious illness that can cause muscle weakness and breathing problems.

So, the rule is ... never feed honey to a baby until their first birthday.